Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Fairy Tales

As we are reading fairy tales in class I got to thinking more about the uses of fairy tales in a more contemporary world (i.e. today). As I mentioned in class I believe parents tell fairy tales to their children because fairy tales are a way for children to understand to big, mean, and complicated for them to understand. Freud stated that fairy tales are all about subconscious insecurities, such as Jack and the Beanstalk being about castration anxiety and other such nonsense. To put my opinion bluntly Freud did enough cocaine to kill a horse (not only comedic, but actually factual), I believe we should just let fairy tales be fairy tales, I believe we do not have to overanalyze them anymore than they already have been. Fairy tales need to be left innocent to do the good for the world, and to help the children understand the world in which they live until they become old enough to comprehend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment