Sunday, April 26, 2009

Muldoon

As I sat and watched Muldoon read his poetry two things about the man caught my attention: one is that he is a very witty man and inserts breaks in his poetry that he uses to speak about the lines. The second is that although he may be witty his poetry is from the heart. Muldoon's actions and his past inflect the poems to where the listener (and certainly me) felt as if the poems were my past. I felt so penetrated with this man's life that I could not help but listen with rapt attention. After listening to Muldoon I left the Whited Room and wandered around campus for a while just asking myself what this man had in his life that I didn't besides more experience. Why can't I write poetry as witty yet at the same time as serious as this cheerful Irishman? After awhile I gave it up and walked back to my room but felt as if listening to him speak his poetry had changed my life and altered it forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment